Thursday, August 21, 2008

President Mwanawasa's Death and American Leaders




Trevor, 18

Trevor spent years on the street before his stay at Fountain of Hope Shelter. From there, he was sponsored to attend a boarding school. He now lives independently in Misisi Compound in Lusaka, Zambia.

Two days ago, on August 19th, President Mwanawasa's death was announced, and Zambia is in a seven day mourning period. Trevor selected a book about American Presidents, and we discussed the late Zambian leader, American leaders and politics in both Zambia and the United States.

Books: Our Country's Presidents by Ann Bausum

Autobiography of a People: Three Centuries of African-American History Told by
Those Who Lived It
edited by Herb Boyd: excerpt from Where Do We Go from Here? by Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

me: What are your thoughts on President Mwanawasa's death?

Trevor: It's very sad. He was a good president because he brought democracy and fought corruption. He introduced departments to fight corruption. He helped change police force corruption by giving them higher salaries. In the past, the police collected money and let the criminals go. It will happens, but it happens less now.

me: Did the news inspire you to pick up this book?

Trevor: Yes. I really like JFK. I even saw a movie about him. His politics helped people, but he was killed in a car because of his politics. Opposition leaders wanted to take charge because President Kennedy was active.

This is like Mwanawasa. Some liked him, and some hated him because he offered something new. I can't tell if someone killed him or not. They say he collapsed at the African Union Summit, but they do not tell us how. Maybe someone put something in his water. By the time he was taken to the hospital, he was in a coma. I'm very very sad. I supported him.

In sub-Saharan Africa, if you can imagine, we are the only country with peace. No violence, no civil war. You go to Angola, Congo [DRC], Kenya, even Malawi in the past and South Africa where they don't like Zimbabweans, and they are killing people. Zambia is not that way.

me: Do you think Mwanawasa is like any of the presidents in this book?

Trevor: Maybe Clinton. I like Clinton. America has been in wars, like those introduced by President George W. Bush, but Clinton was a wise man and did not do the same. I thought his wife would have been wise. I don't know why she wasn't voted. I supported her. I don't know if Obama would be good.

Sata would not be a good president. He doesn't like foreigners, and that is bad. But I do not like the wages that foreigners give to Zambians. They are too low.

Where are you coming from?

me: New York City.

Trevor: Is New York the capital, as well? Or is it just Washington?

me: Ha! Just Washington.

[enter long conversation about New York.]

Trevor: Here is Bill Clinton. And here is Martin Luther King. Was he a prime minister? He was not a president.

me: No, he was a civil rights leader. Do you want to read about him? I can tell you about him, too, although I'm sure I don't remember everything!

Trevor: Yes! Please, where is it?

[after reading some of it]

Trevor: This is a very nice book. I will read the words of Martin Luther King.

[later in the day]

Trevor: I love this book. I knew some before, but now I know what he was doing in America. I like the statement by John Kenneth Galbraith. He said that if you could spend 35 billion dollars on the Vietnam War and 20 billion to send a man to the moon, why can't America spend something to get blacks back together? It's an interesting idea. I've benefited from American donors in terms of education. The doctors help develop the drugs for HIV/AIDS, and we depend on that help. America should help as much as they can.

Also, Martin Luther King talked about love. Not the romantic love. He said where there is love, there is no violence. You can't pull dark from darkness. You can't murder hate.

[long discussion following...]

me: Aren't you glad you read this today?

Trevor: Yeah, yeah. It explains a lot. Tomorrow I will read another one from this book. Maybe one per day.

me: Great! I'll be here again to discuss it with you.

Trevor: Shall we meet tomorrow, say 13 hours?

me: Okay, see you then!

Trevor: Look! There is one called "LL Cool J on rap."

me: That is hilarious. Let's read that one, too.

No comments: