Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Lubuto artists

On Saturdays, people come from outside centers to use the facilities, and special programs are offered.

In the arts building, young artists worked on oil paintings although their instructor, a Zambian painter who also teaches art at the international school, is away for the next few weeks. I was amazed at the work of one student in particular, but they were all generally well done. I spoke to each student about their paintings and recorded their names, ages, their works' titles and anything else they wanted to add about their work, and I photographed them with their paintings and their paintings alone:

Robby Musole, age 18
lives in Kamwala, Lusaka
title: Makisha Ceremony, 2008

"I was born in the Western Province of Zambia where this ceremony is performed. I like the tradition."

note: The Makishu Ceremony is performed in the Western Province by the Losi tribe.




















David Mweene, age 17
lives in Kamwala, Lusaka
title: Mirror, 2008
























Bob Solache
tree and house scene, 2008
Kenyan and living at Fountain of Hope
note: Bob is hearing and speech impaired.



















Roy Chitwila, age 14
lives in Kamwala
title: Come and Drink, 2008


















John Mukoshachule, age 14
lives in Kamwala, Lusaka
title: Chopping Down Trees, 2008























On August 16th, the instructor returns, and I'm looking forward to finally meeting him after hearing about him and seeing the product of his teaching. With his approval, I'd like to develop an art history class to correspond with the Saturday lessons. I got the idea after sharing Andy Warhol: Prince of Pop by Jan Greenberg with Benson because he really loved it and wants to learn more about Basquiat. I asked the artists if they'd be interested and they were extremely enthusiastic about the idea. Let's hope I can pull something together that will be helpful. Lubuto is in need of a better art history collection, so I'm trying to get books from another library here to use. If only I packed another suitcase full of my heavy art books!

No comments: