Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Mumbi: Library Employee

Mumbi
age: 12
grade: 6

me: Tell me something about yourself.

Mumbi: I live in Masauko in Lusaka. My grandmother wanted me to come to school here because she loves me and wanted me to get an education.

me: I heard you're the #1 student in your grade. How did you get perfect grades?

Mumbi: I concentrate in class, and I like learning very much. My favorite subject is English. I want to know how to speak English very well.

me: Uh, you DO speak English very well!

Mumbi: No, I don't.

me: How did you start working at the library?

Mumbi: They asked me to work in the library because I am number one, and they said they will pay my school fees. Here we only have grade 7, and then you have to pay.

me: Do you like working? What do you like about it?

Mumbi: Yes, I like it because this was the first library like this in Zambia. I like it very much.

me: What do you do when you're working?

Mumbi: I tell the boys and girls how to use the library. I help if someone does not know how to read. Some of them want to use the library but don't know how to read. Also, if they use a book, they can't put it back on the shelf. I tell them to put it in the basket.

me: You also help keep the statistics.

Mumbi: We want to know how many come to the library and where they come from, so I get them to sign in.

me: What is your favorite book?

Mumbi: Curious George because George wants to know everything. As for me, I want to be curious and do as he has done.

me: What do you think about working on my project?

Mumbi: I don't know, I just know that I help you! (laughs)

No comments: