Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Sheadrick: Lubuto Library Patron































Age: 12
Grade: 5
Hometown: Ndola, Zambia
Language: Bemba

Books: Creepy Crawlies by Hans Post and Irene Goede
Do Animals Go to School? by Steve Parker and Graham Rosewame

Lubuto Classification: Stories, Level 2

Short Interview:

Sheadrick: This is a grasshopper.

me: Yes, it is. Why do you want to read Creepy Crawlies?

Sheadrick: Because I can learn something in here. I'm learning to read, and these words are good for me.

me: Do you like bugs, too?

Sheadrick: Yes!!

me: Why do you want to learn to read?

Sheadrick: It is nice. All my friends outside know how to read. Some of them are 14, some of them 9 years. My friend is very good. She'll come here, and you'll meet her.

me: Good, I'd like to meet her. Which book is better, Creepy Crawlies or Do Animals Go to School?

Sheadrick: Creepy Crawlies.

me: Why is it better?

Sheadrick: Because I know more of the words.

me: Last question: who do you think would win in a fight, a grasshopper or a spider?...Stop laughing, I really want to know!

Sheadrick: A spider!

me: I knew it. But grasshoppers are cool, right?

Sheadrick: yes.

me: Can I take your picture? I'm going to put this on the internet. I'll show it to you when it's done.

Sheadrick: Yeah, sure.

No comments: