Thursday, July 31, 2008

Lubuto Library Visit for SCECSAL Conference Attendees

The organized visit to Lubuto from the conference went well. Conference attendees had the choice of several local library/archives tours in the same time slot, but many people registered for Lubuto. Vasco, Eleni and I presented the information on Lubuto to the group, and it began as a more formal presentation structure quickly evolved into a question and answer session and then to an informal discussion. I liked the suggestion to document stories told by the children who use Lubuto in addition to documentation of Zambian stories for the purpose of cultural preservation. We introduced the student/library employees, and the visitors were delighted to meet young Zambians learning library operations and services.

The attendees themselves were an impressive and diverse group. There was an American librarian who did library development in Rwanda and is building a public library in Namibia as part of her doctoral studies. A librarian from the Africa and Middle East division of the Library of Congress. A British professor in information literacy. A man from the Ministry of Education in Zambia. Another American from UNC-Chapel Hill's collection development. I had the opportunity to discuss their careers and my plans for Lubuto and my career, and I will make an effort remain in contact with them. The tour made a positive impression on them, and I hope they shared their experience with their colleagues. If Lubuto had not inspired a colleague of mine to share her experience, I would never have been involved myself.

No comments: