Monday, September 15, 2008

Introducing Barack Obama

Trevor supported Hillary Clinton and was disappointed when Democrats nominated Barack Obama. He didn't know much about Obama. If I haven't made it clear before, books are scarce and expensive in Zambia and the nearest public library is a day's drive away. When two copies of a short biography called Barack Obama: An American Story by Roberta Edwards arrived at Lubuto, I was nothing short of elated. Trevor read the book right away, and we discussed it a bit.

me: You weren't sure if Obama would make a good president the last time we talked about politics in the States.

Trevor: I didn't know much about him, but after reading this book, I know that he is smart because he started trying a long time ago and looked forward. He was speaking for those people who were uncomfortable in America, not only blacks but whites, too. He searched for what the people were thinking. He cared about people.

me: Is he different than Bush?

Trevor: Yes because where Bush makes mistakes, he [Obama] cares about what he's saying and doing. Bush cares about what he's saying most. He cares only about America, but Obama cares for the people themselves. Even the soldiers in Iraq, he said he will withdraw them if he is elected so Iraq can be free. He helps others, not just America.

me: Do you know about the person running against Obama?

Trevor: A white man. Mack?

me: Close. McCain.

Trevor: I heard from BBC radio that he was saying his medical check-up was okay so 'vote for me'!

me: Excuse me... [laughs] [laughs more] What do you think about America nominating an African-American?

Trevor: The African-Americans have suffered a lot, you know? Obama, he is not really an African-American because he has a white mother. He is both black and white.

me: Why is that important to you?

Trevor: If Barack Obama was a full African-American they wouldn't like him. He's colored so he has a chance.

me: I think the same people who wouldn't like him for being a full African-American don't like him now for being half. Do you know what I mean?

Trevor: No, I don't think you're right...His father left him, you know. Obama once visited Africa and he went to Indonesia where his stepfather took his mother.

me: What do you think about that?

Trevor: No wonder he wanted to help people, he saw what was lacking because he was not in a good situation himself. His father left him with his mom. He saw the flats that maybe had no water pipes, no toilets...just like in Misisi [the compound where Trevor lives]. He wanted to allow more people to express themselves, even those people. In short, he is a voice for the voiceless.

me: Would you vote for him if you could?

Trevor: Yeah. Yes, sure. I see potential for him to do wonders. He sees not what people are doing now, but where they are coming from and where they're going.

2 comments:

thehistoryofmyfuture said...

wow. that was really touching. "a voice for the voiceless." did he come up with that himself?!

Unknown said...

Hi Holly! - Yesterday I heard a talk by on Lubuto by Jane Kinney Myers at BPL Central Auditorium. Very good work you guys are doing! Keep it up! And of course I'm also rooting for Obama in the election. Right now the polls are just about even - a "dead heat" - but he might be able to pull it off! Best wishes. -- Mike McKegney, BPL Cluster 14